Cleveland Metropolitan School District Collective Bargaining Agreement

The Cleveland Metropolitan School District Collective Bargaining Agreement: What You Need to Know

The Cleveland Metropolitan School District (CMSD) is a public school district located in Northeast Ohio that serves over 36,000 students in 107 schools. The district is governed by a seven-member board of education and employs over 5,000 teachers and staff members.

One important aspect of the district`s operations is the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between CMSD and the Cleveland Teachers Union (CTU). The CBA outlines the terms and conditions of employment for teachers and other staff members, including salaries, benefits, and working conditions.

The current CBA between CMSD and CTU was negotiated in 2019 and will expire on June 30, 2022. Some of the key provisions of the agreement include:

Salary increases: Under the CBA, teachers and other staff members will receive yearly salary increases of 2.5%. Additionally, teachers who have been with CMSD for more than 15 years will receive additional step increases.

Health insurance: The CBA provides for comprehensive health insurance coverage for teachers and staff members. CMSD pays 89% of the total cost of health insurance premiums, while employees are responsible for the remaining 11%.

Workload and class sizes: The CBA includes provisions that limit class sizes and the number of students that teachers are responsible for. For example, elementary school teachers are limited to 24 students per class, while high school teachers are limited to 150 students per day.

Professional development and support: The CBA provides for professional development opportunities and support for teachers and staff members, including mentoring programs and access to instructional coaches.

In addition to these provisions, the CBA also includes procedures for resolving disputes and grievances, as well as protocols for evaluations and teacher observations.

Overall, the collective bargaining agreement between CMSD and CTU plays a critical role in ensuring fair and equitable working conditions for teachers and staff members, which in turn helps to create a positive learning environment for students. As the expiration date of the current agreement approaches, negotiations for a new agreement are likely to be closely watched by all stakeholders in the district.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.